Sunday, May 09, 2004

The weather continues to be silly hot. The heat is only exacerbated by the fact that my spring has dried up for the summer. The summer that started three months ago and won't end for three more. It's not so bad really, I've learned how to bathe, wash clothes, and cook rice (in that order) with a coffee cup full of water. I figure that the dirt in the rice helps clean my teeth too, though that hypothesis has not been scientifically proven.

I think that I may have heard I Will Survive for the one millionth time today - exactly. If videoke in the home and bar wasn't enough, then videoke game shows certainly are. The best part is that the people who sing on TV are no better than the drunk guys in the corner bar - it's about feeling, not singing prowess. Total Eclipse of the Heart, I Will Survive, and Two Less Lonely People in the World are the most popular songs against which to test one's mettle. I prefer the classics Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Bah Bah Black Sheep whenever I'm on the mic. I used to try the Eric Clapton and Allman Brother's tunes hidden away in the dark recesses of the machine, but children's songs have proven to be the crowd pleasers. I'm an entertainer, what can I say?

In that regard, I've been toying with the idea of recording a six or eight song CD while here. There are several recording studios nearby, and the process would be considerably cheaper (5-10 USD), as compared with studio time in the states (insert ridiculous amount here _______). The only thing that gives me pause is the instrument - it isn't exactly up to snuff and I would like to end up with a decent product. Paying full price for a brand new guitar isn't an option and requesting one from home isn't practical. Perhaps I could rent an instrument for the duration of the recording? It's exciting to think about in any case; the idea of being home with a decent demo of my most recent stuff in hand is appealing. Since playing out is something that I want to do having a representative recording would help move the process along.

Today the Philippines takes to the polls, and it's possible that it'll end up California style. Fernado Poe, Jr. (or FPJ) is the main contender against the incumbent, GMA. I rather doubt that his presidency would bode well for the country (any more than GMA's?) - he has no experience in politics, has less than a high school education, hasn't made many firm stands on how he will tackle tough issues (corruption in the government, overpopulation, poverty, pollution, terrorism, et cetera), and seems to be running primarily on the popularity of his movies. At least Arnie had a few ideas about how he would do things and would field questions. Besides, how could you not trust the Terminator?

I've been reading V.S. Naipaul's The Writer and the World for the past week or so. At first I was interested, but have now grown a little tired. Naipaul's tendency to over generalize and make vague connections between former colonial lands has been heavy handed throughout the essays; this was not so noticeable in the larger subject matter of Among the Believers, though broad generalizations about Islam were present there too. In the one essay that I did enjoy, "Michael X and the Black Power Killings of Trinidad", he approached the story like a story, laying back on his social commentary. Perhaps it came out so well since he's from Trinidad. He's well read and well traveled. For Naipaul, these pursuits have brought the world's disparities to the fore; he picks and chooses those which he most wants to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home