Tuesday, December 28, 2004

As you probably know the Indonesian tsunamis have been incredibly destructive. Watching the video on CNN and the BBC as well as listening to the radio leave me with the impression that what happened is indescribable. Yoyong seems mild when compared to waves 10 meters tall that reached from Somalia to Malaysia – a further reminder of the awesome and frightening power of the earth. The issues that arise with such an occurrence will require an equally incredible relief effort; 25,000 plus dead – an insane number.

No waves reached the Philippines, as far as I know, sparing these islands on this occasion. Even so, people are worried. In 1991 a major (8 plus on the rictor scale) earthquake hit (the epicenter being in this province, no less) that is still talked about; the Philippines are home to a great deal of geological activity, mostly earthquakes and live volcanoes, in addition to the tropical storms (such as Yoyong). The heartening thing is that those who survive the many “natural disasters” pull together to begin again. People will do so again in response to the current situation.

Christmas has come and gone yet the carolers remain. Bands of children and old ladies, armed with guitars and empty oilcans, roam the street hoping to sing a few pesos out of your pockets. Perhaps this tradition began with the intent of sharing joy over the Christmas season, but it has since devolved into a loud and importuning method of begging; the singing doesn’t stop until you drop the cash. After the New Year I believe caroling will become a cultural faux pas, until next September anyway.

Out of curiosity I did a job search through an on-line engine the other day. No one ever told me just how many crappy jobs are available! I feel very lucky in that my interests and abilities will probably allow me to find a job that is enjoyable and fulfilling. I see no reason to spend time doing something unenjoyable or unfulfilling – and, some may think naively, believe I won’t have too. Being stuck in such a situation is unfathomable for two reasons: one, after service work in a traditional sense will hold a degree of novelty, and two, that money is not the foremost consideration. Feeling connected to the effort, finding pride in the doing, and that the labor be worthwhile are my primary concerns. What I may do won’t be decide until later – probably the Fall – as finishing what’s at hand and coming home are now my twin preoccupations. I have no worries about this “next step”. Time remains for it to work out and I feel confident in both my abilities and experience to help the process along.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home