Sunday, February 27, 2005

Worthy Labor

Two observations.

1. In all the things I have considered doing after my service (photographer, musician, writer, farmer) an element of creativity is at the root of each. I cannot divorce my mind from the need to express something of myself to the world outside.

2. Whenever something strikes me – in music, in literature, in attempting to live an examined life (and seeing the lack of these elements in the lives of others) – an intensely emotional (positive or negative) response ensues. My conscious speaks before I do.

Given these desires and interests I cannot conceive languishing at any labor, given that whatever labor it may be is positive, helpful, and worthy of the effort. Until now what I have undertaken has benefited me directly, but also (I like to think) the world around me. I see no reason to stop this labor of love. Others may read these words and think – youth + idealism = fantasy. This is only the case should you allow it to be so. We live in the world we make, the world we create – I plan to continue engaging the world around me in a consciously creative role: with all the rewards and frustrations therein. To do any less is to admit defeat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pedro!!
i didn't know that you had a comment area. to me, this is an exciting thing. well, just wanted to say that i love you and am excited for you to be coming back soon. i like reading your blogs...they're so insightful. :)
love ya babes!
your little sis...
ann olivia*

2:25 PM, March 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter,

It is nice to see a comment area added to your blog. I like the color scheme too. You may inspire me to make some improvements on my own site.

Cheers,
Eric

10:40 AM, March 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home