Monday, March 28, 2005

The Home Stretch

After a week out, I'm in. Fresh off the boat. During our mini-vacation a number of previously stated goals were met: 1. read, 2. write, 3. beer. The only thing missing was a hammock; this was quickly replaced by running around Siquijor Island for a week on little pseudo-motorcycles. Driving a motor around, even a pseudo-one, imparts a very distinct sense of freedom; one could argue that you are most free when unencumbered by anything but your feet. Granted: you may be freer, but not as fast.
Strangely enough, I don't feel much like vacationing at the moment. The effort of finding places to stay, transportation, food, and fumbling around in Tagalog have worn me out (and I wasn't even alone in the Process!). It amazes me that, after two or more years in the corps, volunteers have the energy to travel out their readjustment allowance. If I hadn't cultivated a desire to return home and renew the connections therein, perhaps further travel would not seem such a strange desire. The thought of continuing elsewhere than homeward holds little appeal at present.

All that obligation requires of me is to pack my bags, mail a package, and pay the man my terminal fee. Not surprisingly, at this point, that's about all the effort I can muster.

The freshest news state-side is that a job possibility rests on the horizon. The offer remains undefined; at the very least I'll have something to do right away, at the most the position will become full time. This works well on all fronts. I had planned to sign up with a temp agency but it would seem that that step is no longer necessary, at least right away. More on this at a later date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home